[JHRB News] Newsletter for December 8th, 2004

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Dec 8 06:26:01 EST 2004

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
  December 8th, 2004

Well, the Book Elves have finally begun to calm down after their month-long
Red Sox World Series Victory celebration. As you can imagine, things were
pretty nutty here for a while, and we actually had to re-plaster the
ceiling and walls of the Cataloging Cave, because the Book Elves kept
bouncing off them.

However, after they calmed down and got back to work they were able to put
together an interesting selection of newly-acquired books and posted them
on our Just Catalogued pages, which have just been posted on the website-

- - - - - NEW ON THE WEBSITE - - - - -
    "Just Catalogued" Pages Updated!

<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Highlights include-

- an 1837 study of the chemistry and composition of artist's colors and
pigments.

- the scarce catalog of the Boynton Collection of Yorkshire pottery.

- Volumes I-VI (1873-1904) of the proceedings of the Lowell-based Old
Residents Historical Association, with much interesting information on the
early history and personalities of this textile mill city.

- a beautiful set of the National Academy of Design Exhibition Record
1826-1860.

- A scarce 1897 study of "The Architecture, Furniture and Interiors of
Maryland and Virginia During the Eighteenth Century", folio-sized, with
great photographs!

- Havard's beautiful, big, heavy, late 19th century illustrated 4-volume
dictionary of French antiques and art.

- William Harvey Miner's essay on Thomas Chatterton, printed by the Torch
Press in 1905 -one of 15 copies on Japan vellum.

- A copy of the DeLuxe edition of Mundy's elegant 1928 study of English
delftware, limited to 100 copies.

- A nice copy of the history of the "Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin",
the Burgundian Wine-Lover's Society with a difference...

- A scarce 1866 builder's price book with detailed information about prices
for stonework, brickwork, plastering, carpentry and joiners' work, and such
incidentals as Venetian blinds, paper-hanging, electric bell installation,
window glazing, and on and on and on in excruciating and fascinating detail.

and much more!

<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

    STOCKING  STUFFERS  FOR  BOOK  LOVERS

We have just loaded over 175 books on a wide variety of
subjects onto our new Stocking Stuffers pages. Art,
antiques, history, wine, food, and much, much more,
all priced at $10 each (and a few for less).

<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

And remember, buy three books on these pages and get
a fourth book from these pages of equal or lesser value
for FREE! If you buy four books for $10 each you pay
only $30, which is a 25% discount!

<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

Ho Ho Ho!

That's going to do it for today. There was going to be more but the
Newsletter Editor is doing his Civic Duty this week and serving on a jury,
so certain things are going to have to wait for a few days. We'll have
regular, longer Newsletter very soon!

-Forrest

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries
Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm
~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com