[JHRB News] Newsletter for July 29th, 2004

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jul 29 10:59:56 EDT 2004

SPEAKING OF BOOKS
_____________________________________
The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
July 29th, 2004

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

NEW PRINTED LIST

The primary reason (actually the only reason) for today's Newsletter is to
announce a new printed list which is at the printer now and will be mailed
this weekend- "Books on Furniture -Part One (A-L)" includes 102 selections
from our stock of books and catalogs on furniture (hence the title "Books
on Furniture".  And you thought it was just a lucky coincidence...).  If
you would like a copy, just send your mailing address to
office at joslinhall.com and say you want the new furniture list.  Please
Note: some of you are on the list for it already, so don't assume we've
dropped you just because you are getting this email.  But if you have never
gotten a furniture list from us and would like one, or you have gotten some
in the past and just want to make sure you get this one, email us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

SUMMERTIME...

Well, it's Day Four (the final day) of the Democratic National Convention
across the river in Boston.  We're just about gotten used to the constant
sounds of hovering police helicopters overhead from 7 am to 10 pm every
day...  For the last six months the newspapers had been filled with stories
about how bad the congestion was going to be -bumper-to-bumper traffic on
the highways, gridlock in the city, etc., etc., etc.  The result of all
this was, of course, that everyone who lives here scheduled their vacation
for this week and got out of town entirely, or at least decided to try
working from home until the hoopla is over.  The result of -that- (of
course) is that there was almost nobody in Boston on Monday, Tuesday and
Wednesday.

I took the subway in to visit a few bookstores in Monday and Boston was not
quite like a ghost town, but pretty darn close.  A Boston Globe story
yesterday reported that downtown restaurant's sales are off 90% this week,
because the conventioneers are taking advantage of all the free food they
are being treated to at the numerous convention parties and get-togethers,
and the locals are all too scared to venture downtown.   Even tony Newbury
Street, the shopping-heart of the city, where the suggestion that one could
find a parking place any weekday would ordinarily send Boston residents
into gales of hysterical laughter, was deserted, with almost half of the
on-street parking spaces empty.

You see what's coming, right?  After three solid days of stories in the
papers, and on the tv and radio about how deserted the city is, and how
easy it is to drive around, park and shop, suddenly this morning everyone
decided "hey, lets go in to Boston today!" and this morning's commute was
apparently a real mess.

Oh well.  Tomorrow it all gets back to normal.  To all those who were brave
enough to visit Boston this week (and apparently there were some actual,
honest-to-God non-Convention-related tourists here as well) we hope you
enjoyed our city and had a good time despite the sometimes funky
weather.  To those from Florida or California -yes, it is unfortunately
true that when visiting Boston, even in July, it sometimes pays to bring a
sweater, at least if you are going out in the evening.  I know that seems a
bit weird...

**************************************
   __________________________________
     JHRB NEWS-LIST SAVINGS COUPON
      Save 20% on your next order
    by printing this coupon out and
    keeping it for the next time you
    order (before 9/30/04).  When
    ordering by email or phone, just tell
    us you have Coupon 7-29-04 and
    we'll take 20% off your pre-shipping
    total!
    This coupon is good for one use
    per customer and it expires 9/30/04.
   __________________________________

**************************************

That's all for our short Newsletter today.  If you'd like a copy of the new
Furniture list, send us an email with your mailing address.

Thanks!

Forrest

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries
Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm
~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com