[JHRB News] Newsletter for October 27th, 2004

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Oct 27 14:19:42 EDT 2004

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
  October 27th, 2004
To see an illustrated version, go to
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

Well, as you might expect, the Book Elves have been just about beside
themselves while Curt Schilling and the rest of the Boston Red Sox wend
their way through the playoffs and World Series. There have been long
nights the last several weeks in the Cataloging Cave, and plenty of bleary,
sleepy eyes each morning. So each morning we sweep up the popcorn and chip
crumbs, tack the red-white-and-blue bunting back up, and stagger through
another day as we prepare for the next game.  I'm also getting some hot
milk and brandy ready just in case the Sox win It All (or even, *shudder*,
lose It All (gulp). Hysterical Book Elves are not a pretty sight... and we
had a heckuva time replacing the chandelier after last season's
SuperDooperBowl victory party.

  - - - - - - - NEW ON THE WEBSITE - - - - - - -

Despite being sleep-deprived and emotionally drained by the BoSox epic
saga, the Book Elves have managed to restock our Just Catalogued pages and
post them on the website-  <http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>  We have
a good selection of books about antiques, including furniture, folk art,
silver, ceramics, glass, and a smattering of other interesting things.

Highlights include:

- George Munson Curtis's rare 1911 booklet on Connecticut Silversmiths, one
of the earliest and rarest books on American silver marks.

- Helen Burr Smith's rare 1940s compilation of her silver articles for the
New York Sun.

- an interesting 1897 silk trade directory.

- a very scarce 1955 exhibition catalog of New Jersey stoneware.

- a nicely leatherbound copy of Lubke's 1871 study of German ecclesiastical
art of the Middle Ages.

- An elaborately-bound 1841 commemorative volume celebrating George Washington.

- The scarce memorial volume naval historian Samuel Eliot Morison published
in honor of his wife.

... and much more!

  - - - - - - UPCOMING CATALOG - - - - - - - -

Election Day is coming up and I know what you are all worrying about -
not having reading material to get you "in the mood" next Tuesday.
So we are trying to help with our new printed list-

          AMERICANA - ELECTION DAY SPECIAL

A selection of books on Americana suggested by, or touching on (however
tenuously), American politics, history, and other tidbits. We tried to have
a bit of fun with this one, and subject headers include-

Advice (Good), for Candidates-
Congress, insulting members of-
Personality Clashes, unfortunate outcomes of-
Politicians, Two-Dimensionality of-
Voters, Places there probably weren't any-

                        and so on...

As an added incentive, if you call your order in on Election Day and tell
us that you have voted we will give you a 20% "Good American Do Bee"
discount. Doesn't matter who you vote for -Bush, Kerry, Cobb, Badnarik,
Nader - you can even write in your Uncle Ralph from Tacoma if you want...

This is a printed catalog, so please include your mailing address to
receive your free copy.

- - - - - - INTERNET NEWS - - - - - -

October 28th is English novelist Evelyn Waugh's birthday. Perhaps best
known for his famous "Brideshead Revisited", Waugh's relentless pen exposed
the comic-tragic underbelly of the British Upper Class and a multitude of
other aspects of British life in the 1930s, such as public schools and
colonialism, in novels like "Vile Bodies", "Scoop", and "A Handful of
Dust". His travel books are also well worth reading, as is his penultimate
trilogy, "Men at Arms", "Officers and Gentlemen", and "Unconditional
Surrender".  And perhaps no writer has written about his own inner demons
with quite the self-deprecating wit that Waugh did in "The Ordeal of
Gilbert Pinfold".

Waugh fans looking to buy themselves a present to celebrate Waugh's
birthday might consider Piers Court in Gloucestershire, the ancient manor
house Waugh and his 2nd wife Laura Herbert lived in from 1937 to 1956,
which has just come on the market.  Listed at L 2.75 million, Waugh wrote
many novels, including "Scoop" and "Men at Arms" in the library at the
house, although that room was dismantled and sent to an American museum
several years ago. Waugh's handwriting can still be seen on notes above
some of the bins in the wine cellar.
<http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3570488>

You can make it a Waugh Weekend by going to see the new movie "Bright Young
Things", an adaptation of his 1930 novel "Vile Bodies" which is getting
good reviews, and features Dan Ackroyd, Peter O'Toole and Stockard
Channing, among others...

One of the best Waugh websites, with much interesting information and also
links to other sites, is "Doubting Hall"-
<http://www.doubtinghall.com>

You can get in on the ground floor, so to speak, of the newly forming
"Evelyn Waugh Society"
<http://www.lhup.edu/jwilson3/EWSociety.htm>

This international society is being formed "with the object of advancing
research and interest in the life and works of Evelyn Waugh", and they are
accepting "Founding Member" memberships through April, 2005.

- - - - - UPCOMING CATALOG - - - - -

FAKES, FRAUDS & FORGERY

Our new catalog of fakes, frauds and forgeries will be released later this
Fall. This catalog will feature books on art and antique fakes and fraud,
as well as literary forgery, counterfeiting, exploration hoaxes, nefarious
imposters with devious intent, and much, much more.

Send us your mailing address if you would like a free copy.

"According to the enlarged edition of his oeuvre catalogue,
Corot painted over two thousand pictures. Of these, more
than five thousand are in the United States."

     -Frank Arnau, The Art of the Faker

That's going to do it for today.  I hope you find some interesting books on
our Just Catalogued pages, <http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm> . Now I
have to go and buy more supplies for tonight's game, and apparently if I
don't buy the exact same brand of chips, soda and popcorn that we've been
eating up till now, if the Sox lose, it will be all my fault.

The pressure...

     -Forrest

To see an illustrated version, go to
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries
Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm
~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com