[JHRB News] Newsletter for September 18th, 2004

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Sat Sep 18 12:54:52 EDT 2004

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
  September 18th, 2004
To see an illustrated version, go to
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

Fall seems to be in the air as pumpkins and gourds appear at the farmer's
market and it's even money whether we'll need to turn the air conditioner
on again this side of next Memorial Day.  The Book Elves are planning their
decorations for the big Harvest Dance and getting ready to hunker down and
watch their Beloved Boston Red Sox take on the Yankees in three games this
weekend and three games next weekend that could decide which team takes the
Pennant in the American Leage East this year.  So there will be popcorn and
Snickers bars flying around the Cataloging Cave all weekend...

- - - OUR CURRENT PRINTED SPECIALTY CATALOG- - -

         Books on SILVER & SILVERSMITHS
                -Part One (a-k)

101 books and catalogs on antique silver. Send us your mailing address if
you would like a free copy.

AND COMING SOON-

         Books on SILVER & SILVERSMITHS
                 -Part Two (l-z)

Send us your mailing address if you would like a free copy.

  - - - - OUR NEWEST CATALOG - - -

A GRAVE AFFAIR

A selection of books and related materials illustrating how Society and
individuals have dealt with and memorialized Mortality and Death through
the Ages. This new list is available now. Send us your mailing address if
you would like a free copy.

This new catalog features 90 books and other items, including-

* An archive of 171 original photographs of
gravestones, most of them 18th and 19th century
stones, identified by cemetery.

* An 1881 Memorial for the late American President
James Garfield, published by the American community
in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

* An 1839 Guidebook to Mount Auburn Cemetery in
Cambridge, MA., America's first garden cemetery.

* An engaging modern mystery called
"The Escher Twist", which features Mount Auburn
Cemetery.

* An unusual and scarce 1900 undertaker's memoir.

* The story of Napoleon's death mask, a 1915 study
limited to 500 copies.

* A number of 18th and early 19th century books
on epitaphs and epitaph-writing.

Visit A Grave Affair
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com>

A NEW NEWSLETTER-

Are you pining away for more news & information about gravestones,
cemeteries & mourning? Now you can get "Grave Matters", the email
newsletter of A GRAVE AFFAIR delivered to your email inbox!

    More information
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/newsletter.htm>

- - - NEW on the WEBSITE - - -

"The Graveyard"...

In keeping with our "Grave Affair" theme, we've just added a new photo to
our "Picture Album" page, showing a young man of Poe-ish appearance seated
beside a Victorian gravestone...

<http://www.joslinhall.com/photos.htm>

- - - SUMMERTIME - - -

It's the end of Summertime, and that means we're awash in zucchinis. The
first secret of zucchinis is don't let them get so large that you might as
well hollow them out and use them as canoes. Some friends brought some over
last year that were so big they had to mount them on a trailer behind their
car and tie a little red flag to the end. But if you can avoid this
problem, there are lots of great recipes that use them. I just wish I knew
some. My own favorite is to cut them into chunks and simmer them for a few
hours with tomatoes and yellow onions, seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper,
basil, thyme and oregano. But we need some more recipes. So if you have a
good (or even better, really interesting) zucchini recipe, let us know via
email, and we'll share some of them here in a week or two.

That's going to do it for today.  Next week we will have information about
our latest "Just Catalogued" list, some free books, zucchini recipes, and
much more!

     -Forrest

To see an illustrated version, go to
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries
Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm
~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com