[JHRB News] Newsletter for Sept. 21st, 2004

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 21 13:39:59 EDT 2004

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
  September 21st, 2004
To see an illustrated version, go to
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

- - - - - NEW ON THE WEBSITE - - - - -
    "Just Catalogued" Pages Updated!

<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Our Just Catalogued pages have just been updated, with a good selection of
books about glass, furniture, silver, ceramics, textiles and other
decorative arts and a smattering of Americana and other matters.

Highlights include-

* A nice set of the first seven issues of the noted journal "The Glass Circle".

* Cole's 1899 study "Ornament in European Silks"

* A nice copy of the 1914 history of the Dietz Ligthing Company

* The rather uncommon 1922 study of English china fragments- "Analysed
Specimens of English Porcelain" by Eccles & Rackham.

* O'Doherty's elegant tribute to Maxim Karolik.

* A scarce study of American Kasten (what the heck, you ask, is a "Kasten"?
well, go over and find out!)

* Charles Montgomery's limited-edition essay on American silver collections
& collectors.

* An uncommon and interesting undertaker's memoir published in 1900.

* The fine tribute "Israel Sack, A Record of Service", inscribed by Israel
to a collector.

* An 1838 book about "Pennsylvania Hall" in Philadelphia which was burned
just four days after its opening by a rabid pro-slavery mob.  Illustrated
with a beautiful colored plate of the Hall after completion, and a dramatic
plate of the Hall in flames.

* An interesting 1916 pamphlet on the effectiveness of German Zeppelin
raids on London.

and much more!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

- - - - - - FREE BOOKS - - - - - -

"Wine Journeys" by Stuart Oliver (Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1949) "is a
record of journeys in search of fine wines, of wine-gathering not as a
business but as a hobby...  What, it may be asked, is more human than a
great wine? The first few twelvemonths they froth as uselessley as cradled
babies; then come early youth and the glow of rich promise; full maturity
follows; then a slow advance to middle span, a deeper rich texture the
while; finally, old age and soft, velvety reminiscent charm... The finest
wines are nice people".    Hardcover, moderate wear, some soil, lacks the
front endpaper.

If you would like this, send us an email at office at joslinhall.com with the
subject line "Wine".  We only have one copy, so we will randomly draw the
name of one of you on Thursday and send it out to the lucky winner!

- - - - OUR FEATURED SPECIALTY CATALOG - - - -

"Books on Furniture -Part One"
[and] "Part Two"
Bookin! 227 & 230

Featuring almost 200 books and catalogs about antique furniture,
cabinetmakers,tools, woods, and much more. Request your free copies today!

- - - - - - FREE BOOKS - - - - - -

"Military Errors of World War Two" by Kenneth Mackseyis a scholarly
examination of the errors made by commanders and politicians in some of the
epic campaigns of the Second World War, from the North Atlantic to the
skies over Europe, to the North African Desert and the waters of Leyte
Gulf.  From the Cassell Military Paperback series (2002). Softcover, some wear.

If you would like this, send us an email at office at joslinhall.com with the
subject line "Errors".  We only have one copy, so we will randomly draw the
name of one of you on Thursday and send it out to the lucky winner!

- - - - - - SUMMERTIME - - - - - -

It's the last day of Summer, time to put away the beach chairs and get out
the jackets and sweaters.  Time for canoeing down rivers with the red and
gold leaves shining on each bank.  For some reason that mental picture made
me think of my old fishing friend, "Cap'n Bob".  Bob isn't into canoeing,
but he does have a power boat that he likes to use for fishing off Cape Cod.

A few years ago I was visiting Bob and he showed me a new fishing lure he
had bought- it looked like some sort of deranged Addams-family chandelier,
with several "levels", and huge, sharp hooks and little rubber fish
sticking out everywhere.  When I expressed, ever so gently, the opinion
that he had lost his mind, he explained that it was a Bluefish lure.

Oh, I said... "Ok".  I knew about Bluefish.   Smoked Bluefish, broiled
Bluefish... I knew all about Bluefish.  But I'd never caught a Bluefish, so
we went out on his boat in Cape Cod Bay off the shores of Truro and
Provincetown.  Bluefish are, the experts say, "voracious" feeders, meaning
they will bite at anything in the water, including careless fingers (we'll
skip that particular story today).

I caught several, and they are, indeed, "voracious", and have very sharp
teeth.  And there is no better eating than freshly caught blues.  "But",
you say "I have never eaten Bluefish".  Well, you have missed a treat.
Bluefish are "fishy", which is to say they have a strong, oily flesh and
taste like, well... fish.   Go figure.

Bluefish are best cooked simply. A little olive oil, a few garlic cloves, a
pat or two of butter, and not too much time under the broiler, and you have
a real feast.  Smoked Blue is also a great treat, though not easy to find
away from the coast.

While searching for a few new Bluefish recipes on the 'net (I found a few,
but none to beat the simple one above) I found the website of the Atlantic
League baseball team, the Bridgeport Bluefish
<http://www.bridgeportbluefish.com/>.

You gotta love their logo (see the illustrated version of this newsletter
at <http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>). It captures the True
Bluefish Spirit. Though it won't completely replace my Red Sox sweatshirt,
I think I'll probably break down and buy a Bluefish one to match.   And
maybe a cap, too...

Go Bluefish!

That's going to do it for today.  Thanks to our readers we got some very
nice recipes for zucchini over the last few days which we'll be testing a
few in the kitchen and posting here in a week or two.  Until then, please
take a look at our Just Catalogued pages-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

and have a great first day of Fall!

-Forrest

To see an illustrated version, go to
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries
Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm
~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com