[JHRB News] Just Catalogued Books pages updated

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Dec 13 07:53:45 EST 2005

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
December 14th, 2005

To see an illustrated version of this Newsletter, click here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

Well, the Book Elves have just about got the Book Cave decorated for the
Holidays. They got rather "energized" this weekend after downing about
three punchbowls of eggnog while watching the Patriots game; does anyone
know how to dig a half-bushel of holly out of a garbage disposal? But just
before they spray-painted all the kitchen appliances red and green, they
shipped a new catalog to Dave the Printer, and it is now ready for mailing.
Recent Acquisitions for December is available either as a printed catalog
or on our website.

New Catalog-

"Recent Acquisitions For December, 2005" is now ready, and going into the
mail. The catalog is also on our website-

<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

but if you'd prefer a hard copy, please send us your mailing address.

This month's selection includes an array of books on furniture, silver,
ceramics, glass and other decorative arts, as well as a smattering of other
odd stuff, with highlights including-

* Baker's 1880 catalogue of engraved portraits of George Washington,
limited to 500 copies.

* The very scarce privately-published 1916 catalog of the Ballard
collection of 17th and 18th century Ghiordes rugs, limited to 100 copies.

* Bastenaire-Daudenart's 1827 2-volume treatise on the arts of porcelain
making.

* Blagrove's 1888 study of marble decoration and terminology.

* Cornelius's 1922 study of Duncan Phyfe, the limited edition of 150
copies, with 17 extra plates.

* Cutten's 1936 study of Utica silversmiths, limited to 257 copies; this
unique copy featuring extensive additional handwritten notes by Cutten.

* A rare 1908 study of inscriptions on 15th-18th century European drug
jars, limited to 150 copies.

* Jervis's hard-to-find study of 16th and 17th century printed furniture
designs.

* A very nice copy of Kelby's 1922 "Notes on American Artists" of the
Colonial era, limited to 300 copies.

* Owen's 1873 "Two Centuries of Ceramic Art in Bristol".

* A striking ca.1880 Parisian trade catalog of silver gilt ecclesiastical
and other ornaments and hollow ware.

* The grand 1812 design catalog of furniture, interiors and ornaments by
Percier & Fontaine, Empire-designers to Napoleon.

* An influential 1845 treatise on the decoration and design of churches in
the Gothic Revival style.

* Two different editions of Frederic Fairchild Sherman's lovely Christmas
Keepsake, "Sonnets Suggested by Paintings", limited to 65 and 25 copies.

* and much, much more!

- - - -

Winter seems to have come the Pioneer Valley, and it doesn’t look like it’s
going to be leaving anytime soon. We had 18 family members come for
Thanksgiving, and they were treated to turkey, trimmings, and almost a
half-foot of fresh snow. That all melted, and then we got another foot! One
big difference I’ve noticed already, between city snow and country snow- in
the country, you always have a place to put it! The other nice thing about
the snow is that it covers up all the leaves I never got raked.

Another major difference out here is the birds. In the city we had pigeons
and
 well, pigeons. Out here the feeders just off the deck are already
filled with finches, nuthatches, towhees, cardinals and a few others we’re
still searching for in the bird book as we sit in the Breakfast Room and
watch them through the glass doors. Something stole the 25-gallon metal
seed bucket off the deck a few nights ago, but we are told it’s probably
not bears- simply a large raccoon or hungry deer. Deer? Well, maybe. After
it snowed there were deer tracks behind the carriage house the size of
dinner plates.

That wasn’t Bambi visiting, it was Bambo.

- - - - -

PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCK SPECIAL-

Wagner, Arlene. THE ART AND CHARACTER OF NUTCRACKERS.

Collectors Press: 2005.  Nutcrackers have come in many forms -dogs' heads,
elephants' trunks, clenched fists, cast iron dragons, brass courtesans,
objects resembling surgical pincers, and any number of plungers, levers,
and gavels-not to mention the traditional little fellow with the big mouth.
Some are elegant in their simplicity, while some are so delightfully
fashioned they can only be considered works of art. This illustrated album
presents nutcrackers and other nutty accessories in hundreds of color
photographs-most are from Europe and America, made from the 15th century to
the present. Hardcover. 8.5”x11”, 188 pages, loaded with color
illustrations, dj. New. [95023]

Published at $60.00.
Publisher’s overstock available at
this price for a limited time -$25.00

- - - - - -

The second part of the new “Books on Furniture” catalog was mailed a week
ago, featuring authors I through Q. If you’d like a copy and did not get
one, please let us know. Theoretically there will be a new issue of the
“Going Once
 Going Twice...” catalog of antique auction catalogs coming out
before Christmas, but this may get moved back to January, unless someone
can figure a way to add a few extra days to the week.

If you'd like copies of any of these, please let us know.

  - - - - - -

PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCK SPECIAL-

Mathieu, Paul. SEX POTS. EROTICISM IN CERAMICS.

New Brunswick; Rutgers University Press: 2003. Heavily oriented, as might
be expected, to 20th century work, but there were racy potters throughout
history. The sections of erotic pottery from ancient South and Central
America and ancient Greece and Rome are no surprise; the eye-opening
chapter written by Catherine Hess devoted to erotic Renaissance maiolica
may startle a few people. Hardcover. 9”x11”, 224 pages, filled with color
and b/w illustrations, dj; bibliography. New. [95024]

Published at $45.00.
Publisher’s overstock available at
this price for a limited time -$25.00

- - - - - -

and don't forget-

PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCK SPECIAL-

Solis-Cohen, Lita (ed.) THE AMERICANA CHRONICLES. Maine Antique Digest -30
Years of Stories, Sales, Personalities, and Scandals.

Philadelphia; Running Press: 2004. "Since 1973 the Maine Antique Digest has
been the publication of record for the antiques market in America. Senior
editor Lita Solis-Cohen opens the Digest's archives to present this vastly
entertaining anthology of articles about the quirky personalities, amazing
discoveries, major sales, auction dramas, and staggering scandals that have
defined the $20 billion-a-year antiques industry.

Here are landmark sales of silver, tramp art, pottery, paintings, and
furniture, and accounts of famous frauds, forgeries, and crimes of passion.
Learn about the fake Brewster chair that effectively fooled the trade and
museum curators until the maker revealed his identity, the discovery in
France of an 18th-century desk and bookcase that sold for over $8 million
despite missing feet, and the fate of the con man who foiled the antique
toy world”. Softcover. 8.5”x11”, 448 pages, b/w illustrations. New. [95022]

Published at $19.95.
Publisher’s overstock available at
this price for a limited time -$10.00

Or, buy $50 worth of other books and we'll send you a copy of this book as
our Holiday gift.

- - - - - -

Snow or no snow, the other nice thing about our new digs is that we are
near enough to the very-well plowed Massachusetts Turnpike and Interstate
91 to be convenient in bad weather. We’re only a few minutes down the road
from Historic Deerfield, the books are all unpacked and on new shelves, and
if you find yourself going by one day, give us a call and drop by. There’s
always tea or coffee in the pot, cider in the fridge and various other
libations and snacks available as well. Remember to take a look at our
December Catalog when you have a chance-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

And until next time, enjoy the Holidays!

-Forrest, Betty, Amy, Freckles, Pywackett & Ike

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

~~
LIST OPTIONS AND UNSUBSCRIBING: The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter is an
opt-in only list; in other words, nobody can subscribe you without your
knowledge.  We do not send the list to anyone who has not requested it.  If
you wish to unsubscribe or edit your subscription options, either click the
links in the email header or click here
<http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com> and follow
the link at the bottom of the page marked "Unsubscribe or Edit
Options".  You do NOT need your password in order to unsubscribe.