[JHRB News] Newsletter for 2/2 & Just Catalogue Update

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Feb 2 09:27:54 EST 2005

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
  February 2nd, 2005

You can read an illustrated version
of this Newsletter on our website at-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

WHAT'S NEW AT JOSLIN HALL

The Book Elves are still digging out from under that big snow we got a few
weeks ago -if I remember correctly, it was the 5th biggest storm in Boston
history. The timing was good, because it began to snow less than 48 hours
after we had rolled into the yard with an enormous load of vintage auction
catalogs -50 or 60 boxes worth, going back to the 1930s. I do not want to
think what unloading those would have been like with 30+ inches of snow on
the ground...

The catalogs cover a broad range of topics and the Book Elves are on
double-shift getting them processed and described. We will certainly be
doing several "Catalogs of Catalogs" featuring them in the coming months,
and will let you know more about that as we get closer to publication date.
I'd say "let us know if you are looking for a particular catalog from the
1940s or 50s or whatever", but with 60 boxes of them to look through the
chances of being able to find a single title by rooting around for it are,
well, let's just say there's a better chance of my sprouting wings, flying
down to Jacksonville and replacing Adam Vinatieri as the Patriot's field
goal kicker in the SooperDooper Bowl this Sunday.

If you'd be interested in receiving our "Catalog of Catalogs", please let
us know.

- - - - - - NEW ON THE WEBSITE - - - - - -

Our JUST CATALOGUED PAGES have been updated with a variety of new items,
mostly on art and antiques.
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Highlights include-

-The catalog to the Museum of Modern Art's 1933 Exhibition "American
Sources of Modern Art" -these were the ancient American arts that inspired
Art Deco designers.

-Carter's very scarce inside look at the running of Edwardian mansions-
"Millionaire Households and Their Domestic Economy".

-An interesting 1870 broadside for a Hartford furniture dealer.

-A nice copy of George Francis Dow's "Domestic Life in New England in the
17th Century", one of 95 copies printed on Etruria handmade paper.

-Newton Elwell's very, very scarce 1899 book "Colonial Silverware of the
17th and 18th Centuries", a companion volume to his study of Colonial
furniture and interiors which we listed (and sold) a month or so ago.

-2 copies of Appleton Griffin's fine 1897 catalog of the Washington
Collection at the Boston Athenaeum, one copy with the scarce Index volume,
and the other copy is one of 55 copies printed on special paper.

-A nice copy of the hard-to-find 1930 catalog of the Harding Collection of
Antique Irish Glass.

-Hopkins and Cox's pioneering 1936 book on West New Jersey furniture,
limited to 300 copies.

-An unusual 1951 study of gold beating.

-A nice copy of John Langdon's scholarly study of Colonial American
silversmiths who fled to Canada after the American Revolution, limited to
350 copies.

-A very scarce 1903 pamphlet on the "fake" jewelry trade in New York.

-A nice set of the 1929 and 1932 editions of Prime's books on the Arts &
Crafts of Philadelphia, Maryland and South Carolina, limited to 500 and 400
copies.

-A copy of Gisela Richter's 1937 monograph on the "Etruscan" Terra Cotta
Warriors at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, limited to 500 copies (see
below for a link to an extended story about these infamous fakes).

-A beautiful copy of Frederic Fairchild Sherman's 1930 study of early
American portrait painting, limited to 250 copies.

-A scarce 1816 catalog of intaglios and paste cameos, issued by William Tassie.

-An interesting 1933 study of the long-lost Wealden glass industry, limited
to 500 copies.

-several interesting decorative arts theses, touching on early American
furniture and silver.

And much more!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

- - - - - - - NEW SUBJECT CATALOG - - - - - - - -

BOOKS ON CERAMICS -PART ONE

We have just released our latest subject-matter catalog, "Books on Ceramics
Part One [a-k], which features 101 books and catalogs on pottery and
porcelains and all things breakable... Request your free copy of this
printed catalog today, and we will also be sure to send you Part Two when
it is released shortly.

We recently came across a story that in the 1960s the staff at a certain
major London auction house became bored by the many anonymous Old Masters
they had to catalogue. They took to calling these unidentified paintings
"orphans", and then one day someone referred to a picture as "a real
bastard". And so the famous and hitherto-unknown French master La Bâtarde
was born...

- - - - - - - - NEW FEATURE ON THE WEBSITE - - - - - - - -

Between 1915 and 1921 the Metropolitan Museum of Art purchased three
extraordinary ancient Etruscan terra cotta warriors... in fact, they were a
bit too extraordinary. The warriors were, in fact, fakes, carried out on a
grand, almost "mythic" scale, and even as the ink dried on the checks,
doubts were being whispered in art circles in Europe. In 1959, when a
visiting Italian scholar was offered a chance to see the statues and
commented that he did not need to see them since he knew the man who had
made them, the authorities at the museum decided something had to be done...

Read more-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/etruscan_terracotta.htm>

FEATURED BOOK-

We are pleased to have recently added an important book on North American
Indian Trade Silver to our stock of new books. Martha Wilson Hamilton's
"Silver in the Fur Trade, 1680-1820". Chelmsford; Martha Hamilton
Publishing: 1995. An important examination of North American Indian trade
silver, with discussion of First Nations, American, British, Dutch and
French trading patterns, an analysis of forms, and all the known Indian
trade silver makers' marks and biographies of the silversmiths. Profusely
illustrated and thoroughly researched, this is an essential reference work.
Softcover. 8.5"x10", 236 pages, b/w and color illustrations, marks; near
fine. [06785] $45.00

Don't forget to check out the latest additions on our BARGAIN BIN pages-
most books priced at $10 or less, and if you buy three books, you get a
fourth of equal or lesser value absolutely FREE!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>.

  - - - - - - - - - WINTERTIME - - - - - - - - -

With the snow coming down and the temperatures hovering in the single
digits for most of January, there’s nothing like a cup of hot tea or cocoa.
However, if something a bit stronger is more to your liking, here’s a hot
mulled wine recipe we like-

MULLED WINE

1 Bottle of good red wine
2 oranges
several teaspoons/tablespoons of sugar
3-4 whole cloves
2-3 sticks of cinnamon
brandy

Add the wine to a pot and heat gently on the stove.  Peel and slice one
orange into slices and add them, along with the juice of the second
orange.  Add several whole sticks of cinnamon and the cloves.  Bring the
pot to gentle simmer.  Add the sugar (to taste) and brandy and serve in
thick mugs.

That's going to do it for today.  I hope you find some interesting books on
our Just Catalogued pages <http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm> and now I
have to go find the cinnamon...

     -Forrest

LIST OPTIONS AND UNSUBSCRIBING: The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter is an
opt-in only list; in other words, nobody can subscribe you without your
knowledge.  We do not send the list to anyone who has not requested it.  If
you wish to unsubscribe or edit your subscription options, either click the
links in the email header or click here
<http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com> and follow
the link at the bottom of the page marked "Unsubscribe or Edit
Options".  You do NOT need your password in order to unsubscribe.

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries
Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

  ~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank; We
accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Books
may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard
courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.

bookbuying experience is enjoyable.