[JHRB News] Newsletter for May 12th, 2005

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu May 12 11:04:49 EDT 2005

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
May 12th, 2005

To see an illustrated version of this Newsletter, click here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

It's May, it's May, the variable month of May... with temperatures in the
70s yesterday and a frost warning tonight. But May also brings good books,
with a beautiful and important new book on American burl treen arriving on
our doorstep last week (see below) and a whole slew of interesting new old
material for our latest  "Just Catalogued" pages...

<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

This time we have a selection of books about silver, glass, ceramics, and
other decorative and fine arts, and a smattering of other subjects.
Highlights include-

- A scarce study of Middleton, Connecticut communion silver.

- A copy of Arthur Clement's rare 1946 booklet "Notes on Early American
Porcelain", limited to 50 copies.

- A selection of books on 20th century Scandanavian glass and glass designers.

- A nice little 1887 French book on the history of Parisian hair-dressing
and makeup.

- An interesting ca. 1830 broadside advertisement for imported French glass
domes.

- The scarce 1922 memoirs of Col. J.P. Gutelius, a no-foolin', high-octane
auctioneer...

- An interesting 1923 book on lacquer art, providing a link to the Art Deco
lacquer artisans.

- A rare 1882 folio-sized Low Art Tile trade catalog, Low's first catalog.

- The 1886 catalog to one of America's earliest "blockbuster" art auctions
and what was, for a time, the most controversial auction in America...

- A charming and beautiful 1693 suite of engravings showing the Labyrinth
gardens at Versailles.

- A dramatic and beautiful trade portfolio of colored cards illustrating
Art Nouveau and Victorian tile patterns.

- An imposing 1774 treatise on the art of stained glass windows by the man
who restored the windows at Notre Dame...

... and a whole lot more! Please take a look at our "Just Catalogued" pages.
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

* * * * * * * * * * * Featured Book * * * * * * * * * * *

Powers, Steven S.  NORTH AMERICAN BURL TREEN. COLONIAL & NATIVE
AMERICAN.  Privately published: 2005.

A scholarly, well illustrated book on a sadly under-studied subject. This
book selects and examines nearly 200 objects from private and museum
collections, and illustrates them in more than 250 color photographs.
Chapters include- American Colonial Burl Bowls; The Patten Family; The
Covered Burl Bowl; The Burl Mortar; Assorted Burl Treen; Burl Effigy Bowls
of the Woodland Indians; Native American Burl Bowls; Native American Burl
Effigy Ladles, Paddles and Scoops; Atlantic White Cedar Burl of the
Abenaki; and much more! . Hardcover. 8.5"x11.5", 208 pages; 260 color
illustrations, dj. New. [90149] $150.00

* * * * * * * * * * * Upcoming * * * * * * * * * * *

We will be releasing a new issue of "Going Once, Going Twice: Vintage
Auction Catalogs Just Added to Our Stock", in a few weeks! This issue will
feature auctions of furniture, glass & ceramics, Orientalia, French
decorative arts, and Noteworthy Collections. This is a printed catalog, so
let us know if you want a copy.

* * * * * * * * * * * ALSO Upcoming * * * * * * * * * * *

We will be releasing a new issue of our "Books on Furniture and Americana"
catalog shortly. This will be a two-part catalog featuring a wide selection
of books on furniture and related subjects. This is a printed catalog, so
let us know if you want a copy.

That's going to do it for today. Please stop by and browse our "Just
Catalogued" books, and watch for word of our latest issue of "Going Once,
Going Twice: Vintage Auction Catalogs Just Added to Our Stock", coming soon!

-Forrest

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

~~
LIST OPTIONS AND UNSUBSCRIBING: The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter is an
opt-in only list; in other words, nobody can subscribe you without your
knowledge.  We do not send the list to anyone who has not requested it.  If
you wish to unsubscribe or edit your subscription options, either click the
links in the email header or click here
<http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com> and follow
the link at the bottom of the page marked "Unsubscribe or Edit
Options".  You do NOT need your password in order to unsubscribe.