[JHRB News] Newsletter for November 7th, 2005

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Nov 7 09:31:22 EST 2005

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
November 7th, 2005

To see an illustrated version of this Newsletter, click here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

Well, the Book Elves love it here in Western Massachusetts. They've been
busy capsizing themselves in kayaks on the Connecticut River and raking
leaves into big piles on the front lawn and then jumping into them and
landing on each other's heads. For Halloween they all dressed up as their
favorite Rennaissance poets, drank a little too much hard cider, and
treated the neighbors to an unexpurgated version of "Waltzing Matilda" on
the front lawn.

We now have an opening for a new Book Elf or two, if anyone is interested.

However, before they ran amok and decorated the Cataloging Cave with rolls
of Priority Mail packing tape, they prepared a new printed catalog, packed
full of Fallish Treasures-

NEW PRINTED CATALOG:

"Books for Fall -Recent Acquisitions & other interesting books" is now
ready, and going into the mail. This catalog does not appear on the web, so
if you'd like a copy, please send us your mailing address and we'll put one
in the mail for you.

- - - - - -

PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCK SPECIAL-

Alcorn, Ellenor M.  "ENGLISH SILVER IN THE MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, BOSTON.
VOLUME 1- SILVER BEFORE 1697"

Boston; MFA / Northeastern University Press: 1993.

The MFA's tradition of producing elegant catalogs continues with this
effort, which illustrates part of the MFA’s collection of early English
silver, recognized as one of the finest in the world. The catalog features
extremely fine photography, and extensive and scholarly entries which fully
describe and discuss each piece. Many of these pieces had not previously
been published elsewhere. Marks are illustrated with each item. Hardcover.
9"x11.5", 236 pages, 16 color and 362 b/w illustrations, dj. New. [95017]

Published at $55.
Publisher’s overstock available at
this price for a limited time -$25.00

- - - - -

We have a new “Books on Furniture” catalog coming up soon, and a new issue
of our “Going Once
 Going Twice
” catalog of vintage auction catalogs. We
even have a new issue of the oft-promised “A Grave Affair”, catalog (books
related to mourning and gravestones), in the works.

As soon as all that's done we go back on the road to ferret out more
treasures for the Winter issue. Did someone say Winter? It does snow in
Western Massachusetts, doesn’t it??? I’ve heard stories that it does...

But there’s no snow yet. At the moment, despite rather soggy weather, the
leaves are turning orange and yellow, and the pumpkins are being harvested
from the fields. The very last of the late summer tomatoes and raspberries
have been replaced by winter squash and cider at the local farmstands, and
you can smell wood smoke in the early mornings and evenings.

The books are all unpacked and on new shelves, so if you find yourself
going by one day, give us a call and drop by. There’s always tea or coffee
in the pot, cider in the fridge and various other libations and snacks
available as well. Until next time, enjoy our catalog and enjoy the Fall!

-Forrest

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

~~
LIST OPTIONS AND UNSUBSCRIBING: The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter is an
opt-in only list; in other words, nobody can subscribe you without your
knowledge.  We do not send the list to anyone who has not requested it.  If
you wish to unsubscribe or edit your subscription options, either click the
links in the email header or click here
<http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com> and follow
the link at the bottom of the page marked "Unsubscribe or Edit
Options".  You do NOT need your password in order to unsubscribe.