[JHRB News] Just Catalogued Books pages updated

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Nov 15 08:48:09 EST 2005

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
November 15th, 2005

To see an illustrated version of this Newsletter, click here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

The Book Elves have put the barbeque in the garage and are busy trying to
find a recipe for pumpkin pie that substitutes chocolate for pumpkin, but
before they froze the computer trying to download an entire season of "Good
Eats" from the FoodTV Network's website with a 56k modem, they prepared a
new printed catalog of Recent Acquisitions for November, which is available
either as a printed catalog or on our website-

  <http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

If you'd like a hard copy, please send us your mailing address.

This month's selection includes an array of books on furniture, silver,
ceramics, glass and other decorative arts, as well as a smattering of other
odd stuff, with highlights including-

* An interesting manuscript catalog of a private American library dated 1832.

* A beautifully-bound copy of a 1910 book on miniature portraits on ivory,
bound for the collection of railroad magnate Jay Gould's son, George Jay
Gould, at "Georgian Court".

* A nice copy of the 1804 (first English) edition of Tingry's important
study of varnishes.

* An interesting catalog of silver ceremonial maces from American colleges.

* A satirical 1886 booklet detailing a Scotch wife's adventures at the
Edinburgh Art Exhibition.

* An 1895 ledger from Rutland, Vermont detailing a year's worth of liquor
purchases by the citizens of that city and nearby towns.

* A scarce 1908 book on the Blaschka glass flower models.

* A beautiful 1890 book illustrating French Revolution and Napoleonic-era
hairstyles in a series of 30 color plates.

* A nice early (1841) edition of Stokes' influential cabinetmaker's guide.

* and much, much more!

<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCK SPECIAL-

Solis-Cohen, Lita (ed.) THE AMERICANA CHRONICLES. MAINE ANTIQUE DIGEST -30
YEARS OF STORIES, SALES, PERSONALITIES, AND SCANDALS.

Philadelphia; Running Press: 2004.

"Since 1973 the Maine Antique Digest has been the publication of record for
the antiques market in America. Senior editor Lita Solis-Cohen opens the
Digest's archives to present this vastly entertaining anthology of articles
about the quirky personalities, amazing discoveries, major sales, auction
dramas, and staggering scandals that have defined the $20 billion-a-year
antiques industry.

Here are landmark sales of silver, tramp art, pottery, paintings, and
furniture, and accounts of famous frauds, forgeries, and crimes of passion.
Learn about the fake Brewster chair that effectively fooled the trade and
museum curators until the maker revealed his identity, the discovery in
France of an 18th-century desk and bookcase that sold for over $8 million
despite missing feet, and the fate of the con man who foiled the antique
toy world". Softcover. 8.5"x11", 448 pages, b/w illustrations. New. [95022]

Published at $19.95.
Publisher's overstock available at
this price for a limited time -$10.00

We are bursting at the seams here, after a couple of book fairs, some good
buying from private collections and a couple of very productive road trips.
In fact, as we went to press with this November catalog, I had the December
catalog half-filled. Well, "filled" is a relative term- the books are
stacked here, there and everywhere, but one can never have too many books,
right? Right.

Well, anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

We have a new edition of our Books on Furniture catalog coming up in a few
weeks, featuring authors I through Q (IQ, it was easy for me to remember,
so I went with it), and a new edition of our Catalog of Auction Catalogs
coming up in early December. We have a few really nice items for that one.

If you'd like copies of any of these, please let us know.

PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCK SPECIAL-

Schroder, Timothy B. THE GILBERT COLLECTION OF GOLD AND SILVER.

Los Angeles County Museum of Art / Thames & Hudson: 1988.

Philanthropists Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert passionately amassed what was
probably the finest private collection of goldsmiths' work in the world.
Early on they concentrated on Georgian silver -in particular 18th and early
19th century works by English masters Paul de Lamerie and Paul Storr- and
later broadened the collection to survey English and Continental
goldsmith's work from the Renaissance to the Victorian era.

This 1988 volume is from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, where pieces
from the Gilbert Collection were displayed before Arthur donated them to
his native Britain. It catalogs 175 exquisite items, from a very rare Tudor
silver-gilt casting bottle, with tiny dragons holding its chain handle, to
an enormous cup with scenes and figures commemorating the life of
Lafayette, presented to his son George Washington Lafayette after his
father's death. Here too are a collection of elegant German tankards; a cup
carved from a coconut to look like a somewhat pudgy hawk, with jewels and
silver wings; and a 17th-century wager cup shaped like a maiden, which was
later fitted with a clockwork mechanism under her skirt so she could roll
along the table.

Many are seen in color plates; all are shown in a large main view with
smaller detail views of noteworthy features and the smith's marks, and
their provenance and construction are thoroughly described. Hardcover.
9.5"x11", 688 pages, filled with b/w and color illustrations, dj. New. [95023]

Published at $125.00.
Publisher's overstock available at
this price for a limited time -$40.00

That's going to do it for today. Remember to take a look at our November
Catalog when you have a chance-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>,

If you find yourself going by one day, give us a call and drop by. There's
always tea or coffee in the pot, cider in the fridge and various other
libations and snacks available as well. Until next time, enjoy our catalog
and enjoy the Fall!

-Forrest

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

~~
LIST OPTIONS AND UNSUBSCRIBING: The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter is an
opt-in only list; in other words, nobody can subscribe you without your
knowledge.  We do not send the list to anyone who has not requested it.  If
you wish to unsubscribe or edit your subscription options, either click the
links in the email header or click here
<http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com> and follow
the link at the bottom of the page marked "Unsubscribe or Edit
Options".  You do NOT need your password in order to unsubscribe.