[JHRB News] New Connecticut Valley Furniture book has arrived!

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Nov 29 08:36:30 EST 2005

The Book Elves were doing little elfy jigs yesterday when the UPS man
brought the big heavy boxes to our door and they turned out to be copies of
a wonderful new book on Connecticut Valley furniture-

Kugelman, Thomas P., Alice K. Kugelman, et al.  CONNECTICUT VALLEY
FURNITURE BY ELIPHALET CHAPIN AND HIS CONTEMPORARIES, 1750-1800.

University Press of New England: 2005.

"Connecticut Valley Furniture offers the first-ever systematic framework
for classifying eighteenth-century Connecticut case furniturehigh chests,
dressing tables, desks, bureaus, chests-on-chests. Nearly two hundred
illustrated entries present the findings of the Hartford Case Furniture
Study, an extensive field study of over five hundred regional examples
conducted over fourteen years by independent furniture scholars Thomas P.
Kugelman and Alice K. Kugelman and furniture consultant and restorer Robert
Lionetti.

"The book defines four major style centers emanating from the towns of
Wethersfield, East Windsor, and Colchester, Connecticut, as well the
Springfield-Northampton region of Massachusetts. Over half of the
illustrations feature unpublished or little-known furniture pieces
discovered in private or small institutional collections, in addition to
the extraordinary holdings of the Connecticut Historical Society Museum and
other major collections. Complementing the text are period maps, an
illustrated glossary, biographies of selected cabinetmakers, and six
interpretive essays".

Hardcover. 10"x12", 540 pages, 445 color and b/w illustrations, dj.
New.  [90147]  $75.00

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Buy a copy of Connecticut Valley Furniture from us this week and we will
send you a copy of either of the books listed below free!

David Loughlin. THE CASE OF MAJOR FANSHAWE'S CHAIRS. New York; Universe
Books: 1978.  A set of five Chippendale chairs unearthed in an Irish manor
house turn out to be the long-lost Philadelphia Cadwalader chairs by
Benjamin Randolph... A true story of antiquarian sleuthery.  Hardcover.
6"x8.5", 160 pages, b/w illustrations, dj. [95015] $20.00

Solis-Cohen, Lita (ed.)  THE AMERICANA CHRONICLES. MAINE ANTIQUE DIGEST 30
YEARS OF STORIES, SALES, PERSONALITIES, AND SCANDALS. Philadelphia; Running
Press: 2004. "Since 1973 the Maine Antique Digest has been the publication
of record for the antiques market in America. Senior editor Lita
Solis-Cohen opens the Digest's archives to present this vastly entertaining
anthology of articles about the quirky personalities, amazing discoveries,
major sales, auction dramas, and staggering scandals that have defined the
$20 billion-a-year antiques industry. Here are landmark sales of silver,
tramp art, pottery, paintings, and furniture, and accounts of famous
frauds, forgeries, and crimes of passion. Learn about the fake Brewster
chair that effectively fooled the trade and museum curators until the maker
revealed his identity, the discovery in France of an 18th-century desk and
bookcase that sold for over $8 million despite missing feet, and the fate
of the con man who foiled the antique toy world". Softcover. 8.5"x11", 448
pages, b/w illustrations. New. [95022]  Published at $19.95.  Now only $10.00

- - - - - - - - - -

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for November
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

  ~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank; We
accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Books
may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard
courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.

bookbuying experience is enjoyable.