[JHRB News] Art Book Specials- Shaker Songs, Sculpture & Arts & Crafts

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Dec 5 10:13:35 EST 2006

SPEAKING OF BOOKS...
The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To see an illustrated version, click here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_Dec-5-2006.htm>
__________________

December 5, 2006.

We just got a few boxes of some great new publisher-overstock titles on
Shaker songs, the Arts & Crafts Movement and Romantic & Neo-classic
architecture and art, just in time for the Holidays!

- - - - - ->

"SHAKER SONGS. A CELEBRATION OF PEACE, HARMONY, AND SIMPLICITY" Edited by
Christina Goodwillie. Published by Black Dog & Leventhal: 2002. The simple
beauty of Shaker craftsmanship and architecture was also reflected in
their music, which long played a central role in Shaker worship. This
elegant book includes a CD of 28 traditional songs, some performed by the
Boston Camerata, and features more than 200 years of Shaker music in
beautifully and simply illustrated pages of scores and lyrics, as well as
explanatory text. Includes such favorites as "Simple Gifts," "Mother Ann's
Song," "Four Little Angels," "Consoling Dove," "Joyful Praises," and "O
Zion Arise." Hardcover. 7.5”x9”, 128 pages, color and b/w illustrations,
dj. Music-CD in front pocket. New. Published at $15.95.

Publisher's Overstock Price- $9.95

- - - - - ->

"THE ARTS AND CRAFTS COMPANION" by Pamela Todd. Published by the Bulfinch
Press: 2004. “As a revival of traditional craftsmanship in the wake of the
sweeping shift of manufacturing toward mass production, the Arts & Crafts
Movement evolved on both sides of the Atlantic, embraced by designers and
architects like Edwin Lutyens, Frank Lloyd Wright, William Morris, Charles
Rennie Mackintosh, Louis Tiffany, and Gustave Stickley. This book,
illustrated with 250 color and 50 black and white images, is a superb
reference, tracing the origins of the movement; the personalities behind
it and their distinctive designs; and the many aspects of the Arts &
Crafts style in architecture and interiors, pottery, glass, applied arts
and decoration, and the garden.” Hardcover. 10”x10.5”, 320 pages, loaded
with color and b/w illustrations, dj. New. Published at $45.00.

Publisher's Overstock Price- $19.95

- - - - - ->

"NEOCLASSICISM AND ROMANTICISM. ARCHITECTURE. SCULPTURE. PAINTING.
DRAWING" Edited by Rolf Toman. Published by Konemann: 2006. “Illustrated
with some 900 color photographs and reproductions, this volume explores
the complexities of Neoclassicism and Romanticism in architecture and art
through in-depth articles by eleven scholars, and reveals how these
seemingly antithetical styles are in fact closely related. Looking at the
period from the renewed interest in the art and architecture of classical
antiquity in the mid-18th century (following the excavations of
Herculaneum and Pompeii and the arrival of new architectural theories),
through the effusions of the mid-19th century, it includes the work of
such artists as Johann Heinrich Füssli, Eugène Delacroix, J.M.W. Turner,
William Blake, and Francisco de Goya.” Hardcover. 11”x12.5”, 520 pages,
profusely illustrated in color and b/w; dj. New.

Publisher's Special Promotional Price- $39.95

- - - - - ->

Now Available on our website- "RECENT ACQUISITIONS -Old & New Books on
ANTIQUES & THE ARTS & Related Subjects for DECEMBER, 2006". It features
220 titles on furniture, glass, ceramics, silver, interiors, metals,
fashion, trades, color, and life in other times.

<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_290.htm>

We also have printed copies- please send us your mailing address if you
would like one.

- - - - - ->

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

DECEMBER, 2006
 -Selections from our stock
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_290.htm>

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank; We
accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Books
may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard
courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.

bookbuying experience is enjoyable.