[JHRB News] Book Newsletter for 9/18/06 -New Catalog!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 19 12:48:46 EDT 2006

SPEAKING OF BOOKS...
The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
-------------------------------------
To see an illustrated version go to-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_Sept-19-2006.htm>

We had the big 6th Annual Library Sale/Vintage Auto/Antique Tractor Show &
Volunteer Fire Dept Barbecue this weekend in Hatfield, and the Book Elves
were beside themselves, wolfing down burgers and hot dogs, along with
glasses of cider from the old cider press they were operating at the Farm
Museum. There was that one regrettable incident involving the Mayor's
vintage T-Bird and what the police are blindly insisting on calling "auto
theft" and "joy-riding", but before three of the Book Elves were seen
driving off down Main Street on a 1948 John Deere tractor, completely nude
and blitzed on hard cider, singing "We Are Family" at the top of their
lungs, they finished our new catalog-

Catalog #284 - RECENT ACQUISITIONS FOR SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER, 2006 is now
available in printed format, or on our website. If you would like a printed
copy of the catalog, please email us, and remember to include your mailing
address. Or you can browse it on our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

     HIGHLIGHTS include -

*The earliest printed book on American silver collections.

*The scarce 1917 Memorial Exhibition catalog of paintings by John J. Enneking.

*Howard's 1838 study of color as used by artists, a very early example of
the use of chromolithography in book illustration.

*A 1935 Maggs Brothers catalog completely devoted to books about Royalty,
issued to commemorate King George V's Silver Jubilee.

*A beautiful leatherbound copy of the catalog to the 1963 Metropolitan
Museum of Art exhibition of American furniture & other arts, limited to 445
copies.

*James Jackson Jarves' influential 1867 study of Japanese arts.

*An important and influential 1846 book on fresco painting techniques.

*An unusual pamphlet promoting of a scheme to fix up Independence Square
for the 1876 Centennial.

*A very interesting 1881 study of the development of the Christian altar
and its fittings.

*A very scarce 1915 Worcester County exhibition catalog of American silver.

*The first book on American gems, published in 1838.

*An enlightening 1894 study of the evolution of the electric light bulb.

*A scarce 1867 book on the laws of color as used in interior decoration.

*An important and comprehensive 1895 report on worker housing around the
world.

*Noted antiquarian Charles Dorman's copy of Harrington's 1939 book on
Delaware silversmiths, limited to 300 copies, and with extensive
handwritten notes by Dorman.

*An interesting 1845 book about collecting paintings.

*A complete 1890s guide to Victorian construction and decorating work
methods and tools.

...and many more books on silver, ceramics, glass, furniture, folk art,
metals, textiles and other arts, and related topics-

<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

- - - - - - - - - RECENT CATALOGS - - - - - - -

FIRE & ICE  -Catalog 282 is now available. It features a selection of books
on two diverse yet oddly-related topics- the use of fire and the use of ice
in everyday life. Books and other materials on fireplaces, lighting
devices, fire-making tools, as well as ice harvesting, icy foods and
pastimes, and the making and use of ice for refrigeration are all included.

We have printed copies available (if you would like one, please remember to
send us your mailing address), and the catalog is also posted on the web-

<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

- - - - RECENT PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCKS - - - -

Barnard, Toby. MAKING THE GRAND FIGURE. LIVES AND POSSESSIONS IN IRELAND,
1641-1770. New Haven; Yale University Press: 2004. "In this pioneering
study of the material culture of Stuart and Hanoverian Ireland, Toby
Barnard reveals a hitherto unsuspected richness and diversity of lifestyle,
habitat and mentality. The compass of the book is impressively wide, from
the governing elite of Dublin Castle to provincial towns and the
countryside beyond. Looking yet further, it follows the Irish overseas to
Britain and the continent of Europe. Through such everyday articles as
linen shirts, wigs, silver teaspoons, pottery plates and engravings,
Barnard evokes a striking variety of lives and attitudes. Possessions, he
shows, highlighted and widened divisions, not only between the rich and
poor, women and men, but also between Irish Catholics and the Protestant
settlers." There are chapters focusing on the house, interiors, goods,
pictures, the park & garden, sport, dress, Dublin, going abroad, and
Society. Hardcover. 8"x9.5", xxii + 497 pages, b/w and some color
illustrations, dj. New. [95045]
Published at $50.00.
Available for a limited time for- $25.00

Dubin, Lois Sherr. NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN JEWELRY AND ADORNMENT. FROM
PREHISTORY TO THE PRESENT. New York; Harry N. Abrams: 1999. Ten years in
the making, this lavish, photo-filled book starts by exploring the jewelry
of the ancient Americans and works its way, eventually, up to the 20th
century. Separate chapters discuss and illustrate the Arctic, the
Subarctic, the Woodlands, the Plains, the Great Basin, the Plateau, the
Northwest Coast, California, and the Southwest. This book is packed with
color photos and information, and if you are at all interested in any facet
of the subject is well worth a place on your bookshelf. Hardcover.
10"x11.5", 608 pages, 820 color and 380 b/w illustrations, dj. New. [95043]
Published at $75.00.
Available for a limited time for- $40.00

- - - - UPCOMING CATALOGS - - - -

Books on Glass Catalog #283

Books on Silver Catalog #285

Fall, 2006 -Catalog #287

A Grave Affair: mourning arts, epitaphs, gravestones Catalog #288

Books on Decorative Arts, including interiors, folk art, metalware &
textiles Catalog #290

Books on Furniture Catalog #291

Auction Catalogs Catalog #292

- - - MORE RECENT PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCKS - - -

Friedman, Florence Dunn (ed.). GIFTS OF THE NILE. ANCIENT EGYPTIAN FAIENCE.
Thames & Hudson: 1998. "This catalog, from the Museum of Art, Rhode Island
School of Design's international traveling exhibition, is an in-depth study
of ancient Egyptian faience-figures, jewelry, and objects made from a
non-clay ceramic material with a bright blue or polychrome glazed surface.
More than 200 pieces spanning 3,000 years are displayed here in 224 color
plates, with an additional 250 black and white photos and drawings,
depicting a variety of small domestic items: lidded jars and pots; a
portable, partitioned inkwell with a rotating top; a royal cosmetic jar;
inlay tiles; goblets; scarabs; and amulets. Illustrated essays explore the
meaning of faience within Egyptian culture, discussing its uses, symbolism,
and technology." Hardcover. 9.5"x12", 288 pages, color and b/w
illustrations. New. [95046]
Published at $75.00.
Available for a limited time for- $40.00

Jakeman, Jane. IN THE KINGDOM OF MISTS. New York; Berkeley Prime Crime:
2002. A fun book- a murder mystery novel with the Impressionist painter
Monet as a main character- "London, 1900: As Monet paints the wintry mists
over the Thames, the bodies of two young women are dragged from its depths,
arousing fears of a return of Jack the Ripper. Oliver Craston, a fledgling
diplomat at the Foreign Office, happens to be nearby when an unrecognizable
body is pulled from the river, and he is drawn into the police
investigation. With anti-French sentiment running high in London, his
superiors want Craston to keep a close eye on Monet and his son. But no one
knows that the source of the horror-a horror beyond even the imagination of
an artist-stalks the floor above M. Monet's suite." Hardcover. 6.25"x9.5",
355 pages, dj. New. [95053]
Published at $23.95.
Available for a limited time for- $10.00

Loring, John. TIFFANY FLORA / TIFFANY FAUNA. New York; Harry N. Abrams:
2003. A colorful, sumptuous survey of the best and most dramatic in Tiffany
jewelry in two volumes, one focusing on animals, the other on flowers. "a
striking visual survey of the unparalleled craftsmanship of Tiffany & Co.
The effect is like peering into an ark of fantastic, bejeweled
creatures-winged dragons with fiery eyes clutching beautiful gems; a golden
parrot in a jaunty diamond cap and blue enameled pantaloons; an extravagant
wreath of diamond and platinum leaves and flowers; a blushingly suggestive
enameled orchid; and a Tiffany lamp in blues and greens evoking an
illuminated wisteria." The pieces illustrated and described range from the
19th century to the present day. A must-have set for the Tiffany & Co.
enthusiast. Hardcover. 2 vols. 7.5"x8.5", 128 + 128 pages, color and b/w
illustrations, dj. New. Slipcased. [95051]
Published at $100.00.
Available for a limited time for- $40.00

Loewer, Peter. JEFFERSON'S GARDEN. Mechanicsburg; Stackpole Books: 2004.
"Peter Loewer, vice president of the Botanical Gardens at Asheville, North
Carolina, and the author of The Winter Garden and Thoreau's Garden,
profiles Thomas Jefferson as gardener and landscape architect. Loewer
offers essays on the annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, and vines that
Jefferson grew, with entries from his journal. Here too is a survey of the
importance of seeds in America-crediting the First Gardener with a
significant contribution to the country's seed heritage-and a portrait of
Monticello from various historic viewpoints, followed by an account of its
restoration by the Garden Club of Virginia. The book is handsomely
presented, with naturalist ink drawings of the plants as chapter headings."
Hardcover. 6"x8.5", 260 pages, line illustrations, dj. New. [95052]
Published at $21.95.
Available for a limited time for- $10.00

Mondlin, Marvin & Roy Meador. BOOK ROW. AN ANECDOTAL AND PICTORIAL HISTORY
OF THE ANTIQUARIAN BOOK TRADE. New York; Carroll & Graf: 2004. 2nd prtg.
The story of New York's famous Fourth Avenue- Book Row from the 1890s to
the 1960s. From the Strand Bookstore which began as a bookstall on 8th, to
the legendary George D. Smith, poker and horse player, and dozens of other
colorful, irascible, eccentric, dedicated and unforgettable characters, the
story of antiquarian and used bookselling in America was epitomized on
Fourth Avenue over a period of some seven decades. Book Row is gone now- a
victim of rising rents, chain stores and redevelopment, but its story lives
on in the pages of this book. Hardcover. 6.5"x9", 405 pages, b/w
illustrations, dj. New. [95050]
Published at $28.00.
Available for a limited time for- $15.00

- - - - SPEAKING OF BOOKS - - -

Summer is ending in the Pioneer Valley as the days get cooler and the
nights longer. The fifteen-foot high thistle out by the garage has gone to
seed and fallen over, and this past weekend Hatfield had its Annual Library
Sale / Tractor / Vintage Car Show and Volunteer Fire Deptartment Chili &
Burger Barbeque in front of the Library. The tomatoes and basil and onions
are all coming in by the bucketful, so its time to make salsa and pasta
sauce. Very soon now we'll have to watch the weather forecast for word of
frost.

We've had a busy Summer, with several significant collections coming our
way, some of which you see portions of in this catalog. We have a full
schedule for the Fall, with catalogs on silver, glass, furniture, and the
long-awaited new edition of "A Grave Affair" (books on gravestones,
epitaphs and mourning arts) all due. We don't put catalogs off for want of
stock- I've had enough "Grave Affair" books set aside to fill a new catalog
for six months now; rather, they get delayed for lack of time to prepare
them. Happily, the also-long-awaited "Fire & Ice" catalog has been issued,
featuring books on lighting, fireplaces, and other uses of fire, and ice
houses, ice harvesting, icy foods, and other uses of ice. If you'd like a
copy, please let us know.

We also had a busy Summer on the home front, with new roofs all around
(boy, does this house have a lot of roofs!), and we finally began to get a
handle on the gardens. We got a croquet course set up on the side lawn,
along with a badminton area, and managed a neighborhood Barbeque/
Croquet/Badminton Tournament a few weeks ago to everyone's apparent
satisfaction. At least nobody went home hungry!

So, if you are driving around the Pioneer Valley this Fall and have a
chance, give us a call and drop by.  We're a few moments down the road from
Historic Deerfield, two miles from Interstate 91, and reasonably close to
Amherst, Tanglewood, and other points of Western Massachusetts interest.

We hope you find something of interest here, and until next time, enjoy the
Fall!

-Forrest, Betty & Amy

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

  ~~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank; We
accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Books
may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard
courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.