[JHRB News] Just in- books on Viennese silver, Antique tiles & 19th Century chefs...

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jan 29 09:49:14 EST 2007

SPEAKING OF BOOKS...
The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To see an expanded, illustrated version, click here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

January 29th, 2007.

Work on our new February Recent Acquisitions Catalog is almost done, and
it should be ready next week. In the meantime we just got three great new
publisher-overstock titles in about Viennese silver, the first celebrity
chef, and antique tiles-

Huey, Michael (ed.). "VIENNESE SILVER. MODERN DESIGN 1780-1918"  Hatje
Cantz Verlag: 2003. Illustrated with more than 500 images, including 189
color plates, this volume presents more than 180 outstanding silver
objects from Vienna, of the period from Neoclassicism to the Wiener
Werkstatte. The book compares late 18th-century works with examples of
early 20th-century design and architecture, offering both a detailed look
at Vienna's unquestioned influence on the development of the modern
decorative arts and also evidence that the roots of modernism's spare,
clean lines go back further than is often assumed. Images from popular
culture-airplanes, rocket ships, sleek urban structures-are compared to
the tureens, tableware, and decorative items they inspired. Published in
conjunction with the loan exhibition at the Neue Gallery in New York and
the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna. Hardcover. 9.5”x11.5”, 398 pages,
b/w and color illustrations, dj. New. [95070]

   Published at $125.00.
   Available for a limited time for $60.00

 - - -

Kelly, Ian. "COOKING FOR KINGS. THE LIFE OF ANTONIN CAREME, THE FIRST
CELEBRITY CHEF"  New York; Walker & Co.: 2003. “A unique feast of
biography and Regency cookbook, ‘Cooking for Kings’ takes readers on a
culinary tour of the palaces of Britain and Europe in the ultimate age of
gastronomic indulgence, when, for the first time, chefs became celebrities
and the modern restaurant was born”. Antonin Careme invented the chef’s
hat and soufflé, and cooked for Romanovs, Rothschilds, Emperors and Kings.
Hardcover. 5.5”x8.5”, 301 pages, several color and line illustrations, dj.
New. [95069]

   Published at $26.00.
   Available for a limited time for $10.00

 - - -

Lang, Gordon (ed.). "1000 TILES. TEN CENTURIES OF DECORATIVE CERAMICS"
San Francisco; Chronicle Books: 2004. A colorful extravaganza of antique
tiles, from antique Islamic and Dutch tiles and Italian maiolica to
Medieval pavements and colorful Victorian, Arts & Crafts and Art Deco
examples. The authors include Paul Atterbury, Catherine Blake and Riccardo
Sorani. If you love tiles you’ll love this thick, weighty book. Softcover.
8”x9”, 320 pages, packed with color illustrations. New. [95068]

   Published at $29.95.
   Available for a limited time for $15.00

 - - -

   and don't forget our two latest catalogs-

"BOOKS ON FURNITURE, CABINETMAKERS & RELATED SUBJECTS" is now available on
our website or in printed format. It features 264 books and catalogs on
furniture, cabinetmakers and, well... related subjects. Request a printed
copy, or browse the catalog on our website.
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_293.htm>

"RECENT ACQUISITIONS for January, 2007" is now available on our website or
in printed format. It features 224 books and catalogs on furniture,
silver, ceramics, glass, textiles, art, architecture and related fields.
Request a printed copy, or browse the catalog on our website.
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_292.htm>

 - - -

This is an OPT-IN email newsletter.
To receive a copy you must subscribe your email address.
To edit your subscription options or unsubscribe, go to

If you have any question, or are having difficulties adjusting
your subscription or unsubscribing, email office at joslinhall.com

 - - -

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01061 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

JANUARY, 2007
 -Selections from our stock
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_292.htm>

FOLK ARTS, AMERICANA & CHINA TRADE
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_291.htm>

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank; We
accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Books
may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard
courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.

bookbuying experience is enjoyable.

 - - -