[JHRB News] Our New "Books on Furniture" catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Oct 16 11:47:32 EDT 2007

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the Book Elves have become country auction
addicts (though they prefer the word “enthusiasts”). Their addiction
(sorry- “hobby”) has inexorably led them to another pursuit- collecting
antique furniture. They began with rocking chairs, which was fine until
they bought so many of them that there was no longer any room to rock on
the front porch. One or even two dining rooms tables is fine, but six? And
then came the project to see how many highboys you could stuff into an
11-room house (the answer, by the way, is 62 and a half. Don’t ask about
the “half”, it’s a sore subject around here).

But before they glanced in their rear-view mirror while doing 70 in the
high-speed lane of the Massachusetts Turnpike to see an antique 18th
century highboy fly off the roof rack and instantly become a collection of
antique 18th-century kindling when the semi ran over it, they finished our
latest catalog-

CATALOG 306: BOOKS ON FURNITURE & CABINETMAKERS features 240 books and
catalogs on antique furniture, cabinetmakers, tools, and related subjects.

Highlights include-

-A fascinating 1835 treatise on designing and drawing cabinet furniture.

-An uncommon 1916 book on polychromatic decorative turning.

-An interesting 1870s trade catalog of Gothic-Revival furniture.

-An early, 1841 edition of a classic American cabinetmaker’s manual.

-A beautiful collection of 1820s hand-colored plates of French Empire
furniture designs.

-A striking 1867 book of colored design for marquetry cabinetwork.

-and a wide variety of classic and uncommon books and catalogs on
American, English, European and Oriental furniture!

The catalog may be viewed on our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_306.htm>

or we have free printed copies available.
If you would like one, please ask.

 - - -

This is an OPT-IN email newsletter.
To receive a copy you must subscribe your email address.
To edit your subscription options or unsubscribe, go to

If you have any question, or are having difficulties adjusting
your subscription or unsubscribing, email office at joslinhall.com

 - - -

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01061 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER, 2007
 -Selections from our stock
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_304.htm>

FOLK ARTS & AMERICANA
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_302.htm>

BOOKS ON GLASS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_299.htm>

BOOKS ON CERAMICS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_295.htm>

BOOKS ON FURNITURE
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_306.htm>

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank; We
accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Books
may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard
courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.

bookbuying experience is enjoyable.