[JHRB News] Speaking of Books, April 11 -New Catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Apr 11 08:24:28 EDT 2006

SPEAKING of Books...

The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter
April 11th, 2006

To see an illustrated version of this Newsletter, click here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/speaking_current.htm>

We're getting ready for Patriot's Day, a holiday not familiar to many folks
outside Massachusetts. It commemorates the Lexington-Concord Battle of 1775
(remember the Longfellow poem? "By the rude bridge which arched the flood,
their flag to to April breeze unfurled", etc.)

In Massachusetts many towns have companies of volunteer Minutemen who dress
up in colonial-era garb and march on their town greens on April 19th. For
many years the Book Elves have amused themselves by going one better- they
dress up as Minutemen and Redcoats and recreat the battle on the front
lawn. This was fine until someone introduced the concept Hollywood-style
pyrotechnics to the festivities... However, before they began repairing
last year's scorch marks in their costumes and Googling the phrase "really
big cannon" on the internet, the Book Elves finished a new printed catalog
of Books on Silver & Silversmiths, which is now ready to mail-

----------- NEW CATALOG ------------

"BOOKS ON SILVER & SILVERSMITHS" is now ready, and going into the mail.
Highlights include books on American, English, European, Asian, ancient &
other silver and silversmiths, including standard studies, rare monographs,
scarce exhibition and auction catalogs, new books on Tiffany flatware,
needlework tools, & much more!

If you'd like a copy please send us your mailing address.

A Stunning New Book-

Cummins, Genevieve. ANTIQUE BOXES -INSIDE AND OUT. For Eating, Drinking and
Being Merry, Work, Play and the Boudoir.

Woodbridge; Antique Collectors' Club: 2006. All right boxing fans, have we
got a book for you! You really have to see this book to believe it. It's
big, it's beautiful, and it's packed with fantastic antique boxes- boxes
for eating, drinking, "being merry" (oh my), work boxes, alms boxes, boxes
for play, hobbies, sewing, gaming, knives, tea, salt, betel boxes, cricket
boxes, hat boxes, writing boxes, perfume boxes -if somebody put it in a
box, the box is here. And Cummins is not only concerned with outward
appearances- one of the most valuable aspects of this book is that most of
the boxes are also shown opened- with their original, or nearly original,
contents. "Boxes are beguiling," the jacket says, "because they can have
the double delight of an enticing exterior and the anticipation and
satisfaction of a fully fitted interior." There's a lot of satisfaction to
be had from this book. Hardcover. 9.5"x12", 439 pages, packed with color
and b/w illustrations, dj; bibliography. New. [90166] $69.50

OUR NEW BLOG-

Remember to check out "Foggygates", our new blog, for the latest news,
announcements, specials, and other odd things...updated daily.
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

UPCOMING CATALOGS -
If you'd like copies of any of these, please let us know.

* Recent Acquisitions for Spring, 2006 (april)
* Auction Catalogs (may)

PUBLISHER'S OVERSTOCK SPECIAL-

Stern, Bill. "CONTEMPORARY SILVER. COMMISSIONING. DESIGNING. COLLECTING"
London; Merrell Publishers: 2000. A sumptuous feast of a book for the
silver lover, filled with gorgeous photographs of unique and surprising
fantasies on the theme of the broad-bladed silver server. Rabinovitch,
author of a book on antique broad-bladed silver servers, commissioned more
than 60 new servers from a variety of working silver craftsmen, and the
results are stunning and provocative. The text describes each server and
the silversmiths' ideas in creating it, and also explores the relationship
between artist and patron, and even how to become a patron, on a large or
small scale, yourself. A fun book which silver lovers will spend hours
going through again and again. Hardcover. 9.5"x10", 160 pages, color
illustrations, dj. New. [95026]

Published at $49.95
Publisher's overstock
available for a limited time for- $25.00

We hope you find a few books here that you need, and if you are ever in the
area, remember that we're close to the Massachusetts Turnpike and
Interstate 91, just down the road from Deerfield, over the bridge from
Amherst, and many other points of interest... so if you find yourself going
by one day, give us a call and drop by. There's always tea or coffee in the
pot, cider in the fridge and various other libations and snacks available
as well.

When you have a chance, drop by "Foggygates", our new blog,

<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

and until next time, enjoy our catalog and enjoy the Spring!

     -Forrest, Betty, Amy, Freckles, Pywackett & Ike

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

~~
LIST OPTIONS AND UNSUBSCRIBING: The Joslin Hall Rare Books Newsletter is an
opt-in only list; in other words, nobody can subscribe you without your
knowledge.  We do not send the list to anyone who has not requested it.  If
you wish to unsubscribe or edit your subscription options, either click the
links in the email header or click here
<http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com> and follow
the link at the bottom of the page marked "Unsubscribe or Edit
Options".  You do NOT need your password in order to unsubscribe.