[JHRB News] Special price on a Massachusetts Silver book

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Nov 17 08:13:27 EST 2006

>From our brand new
BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER & SILVERSMITHS catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

a great book at a great price...

Kane, Patricia E.  COLONIAL MASSACHUSETTS SILVERSMITHS AND JEWELERS. A
biographical dictionary based on the notes of Francis Hill Bigelow & John
Marshall Phillips.

New Haven; Yale University Art Gallery: 1998.

A book almost a hundred years in the making, and quite simply the most
important book on American silversmiths since Belden’s study of the
Ineson-Bissell Collection at Winterthur. Pioneering collector and scholar
Francis Hill Bigelow died before his notes, for a proposed Magnum Opus on
Massachusetts silversmiths, could be completed and made into book form.

John Marshall Phillips, Curator of the Garvan Collection at Yale, took
over the project and added to the research, but his untimely early death
once again stopped the study in its tracks. Finally, in the 1980s,
Patricia Kane and her colleagues, working from the original notes,
embarked on a project to complete this ultimate reference, now published
here in all its massive glory.

There are biographies of 296 silversmiths and jewelers who worked in
Massachusetts before the American Revolution, along with 93 craftsmen in
allied trades. Kane’s preface chronicles the ninety-two years of research
and scholarship that went into the book, and her essay focuses on the
creative ferment in Boston. Barbara McLean Ward’s essay describes the
tools of the trade. Gerald W. R. Ward discusses the differences between
metropolitan and rural silversmiths.

The ‘New York Silver Society Newsletter’ called this a “masterful
accomplishment
 and a source book that will well serve the next
generations of gold, silver, and jewelry historians.” Our Book Elves at
Joslin Hall simply describe the book as “damned heavy”.

Hardcover. 8.5”x11.5”, 1,241 pages; marks, dj. New. [90139]

This book was published at $150.00 and was a bargain at that price, but
for a limited time we have a carton or two of Publisher's Overstock copies
to sell for only $75.00 each!

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER & SILVERSMITHS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS, ABAA
Fine books of the 16th-20th centuries

Post Office Box 239
Northampton, Massachusetts 01060 USA
telephone (413) 247-5080

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

FALL, 2006
 -Selections from our stock
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_287.htm>

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank; We
accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Books
may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard
courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.

bookbuying experience is enjoyable.