SPEAKING of Books...
The Joslin Hall Rare Books
To have the email version delivered to your mailbox, click here.
May 12th, 2005
It's May, it's May, the variable month of May... with temperatures in the 70s yesterday and a frost warning tonight. But May also brings good books, with a beautiful and important new book on American burl treen arriving on our doorstep last week (see below) and a whole slew of interesting new old material for our latest Just Catalogued pages...
This time we have a selection of books about silver, glass, ceramics, silver, folk art, and other decorative and fine arts, and a smattering of other subjects. Highlights include-
- A scarce study of Middleton, Connecticut communion silver
- A copy of Arthur Clement's rare 1946 booklet "Notes on Early American Porcelain", limited to 50 copies.
- A selection of books on 20th century Scandanavian glass and glass designers.
- A nice little 1887 French book on the history of Parisian hair-dressing and makeup.
- An interesting ca. 1830 broadside advertisement for imported French glass domes.
- The scarce 1922 memoirs of Col. J.P. Gutelius, a no-foolin', high-octane auctioneer...
- An interesting 1923 book on lacquer art, providing a link to the Art Deco lacquer artisans.
- A rare 1882 folio-sized Low Art Tile trade catalog, Low's first catalog.
- The 1886 catalog to one of America's earliest "blockbuster" art auctions and what was, for a time, the most controversial auction in America...
- A charming and beautiful 1693 suite of engravings showing the Labyrinth gardens at Versailles.
- A dramatic and beautiful trade portfolio of colored cards illustrating Art Nouveau and Victorian tile patterns.
- An imposing 1774 treatise on the art of stained glass windows by the man who restored the windows at Notre Dame...
... and a whole lot more! Please take a look at our "Just Catalogued" pages.
Powers, Steven S.
North American Burl Treen. Colonial & Native American.
Privately published: 2005.
A scholarly, well illustrated book on a sadly under-studied subject. This book selects and examines nearly 200 objects from private and museum collections, and illustrates them in more than 250 color photographs. Chapters include- American Colonial Burl Bowls; The Patten Family; The Covered Burl Bowl; The Burl Mortar; Assorted Burl Treen; Burl Effigy Bowls of the Woodland Indians; Native American Burl Bowls; Native American Burl Effigy Ladles, Paddles and Scoops; Atlantic White Cedar Burl of the Abenaki; and much more! . Hardcover. 8.5x11.5, 208 pages; 260 color illustrations, dj. New.  $125.00
We will be releasing a new issue of Going Once, Going Twice: Vintage Auction Catalogs Just Added to Our Stock, in a few weeks! This issue will feature auctions of furniture, glass & ceramics, Orientalia, French decorative arts, and Noteworthy Collections. This is a printed catalog, so let us know if you want a copy.
We will be releasing a new issue of our Books on Furniture and Americana catalog shortly. This will be a two-part catalog featuring a wide selection of books on furniture and related subjects. This is a printed catalog, so let us know if you want a copy.
Thats going to do it for today. Please stop by and browse our Just Catalogued books, and watch for word of our latest issue of Going Once, Going Twice: Vintage Auction Catalogs Just Added to Our Stock, coming soon!
Home |*| Ordering |*| Our Books